You have spent the last couple of years in a committed relationship—with writing. Love them or hate them, essays have been by you through thick and thin.
So when you walk into class and your professor says you’re going to do something new today, your heart starts beating faster, and it feels like there are butterflies in your stomach.
Then, your instructor pops the question—”Will you write a proposal essay?”
You might not think you’re ready to take the plunge into proposal essays just yet, but don’t get cold feet! This type of essay can be super easy (and also pretty fun) to write.
All you need is the right topic.
The right topic involves planning, research, and passion. Below, I’ll show you how to choose the right topic and give you some example proposal essay topics that you can either use as-is or use as inspiration to come up with your own topic.
But First, What Is a Proposal Essay?
Before you try to find that perfect topic from the sea of potential proposal essay topics (and certainly before you try to write one), it’s important to understand exactly what a proposal essay is.
Simply put, a proposal essay identifies a problem and suggests a solution to that problem. It’s a type of argumentative essay, but with a slightly different format and more research.
Proposal essays are common in business and science classes and professions, but are also useful for a number of different disciplines.
Typically, these types of essays are not a timed, in-class writing assignment where you’re trying to beat the clock. Instead, they require more time and research in order to formulate arguments and find supporting evidence.
Ultimately, your goal is to persuade the reader that your proposal is not only viable, but one worth pursuing. For a more in-depth overview, check out this awesome SlideShare.
What to Consider When Selecting Proposal Essay Topics
The number of different proposal essay topics out there is pretty vast, so naturally, the essays themselves will differ. However, here are a few common components (and some dos and don’ts!) to consider when you’re narrowing down proposal essay topics to find the perfect match.
Choose something that interests you
For many types of essays, you can fake it till you make it. But for proposal essays, it will be a huge advantage for you to select a topic you actually care about. You’re most likely going to be spending a significant portion of time researching and writing this essay.
It’ll be much more enjoyable if you have some passion for the subject matter. Your reader will be able to tell too. Passion comes through in writing—picking a proposal essay topic that’s interesting to you makes your essay more interesting to the reader.
DON’T: Write about how to get your hair untangled or an effective way to clean a litter box. These topics are boring—and much too simple.
DO: Write about something that could influence you or someone you know. If you have siblings in grade school, write about education. For example, how can children get a good physical education in elementary school?
Choose a proposal essay topic that has support
As I said before, you’re going to be doing a lot of research in order to write your essay properly, so it helps if the topic already has existing literature.
Choosing a proposal essay topic that has both supporting and dissenting research is usually best. Then you can choose which side of the argument you want to tackle.
DON’T: Write about something that’s purely opinion with no facts to back it up. For example, how to make the most out of your Saturday afternoon is not a good topic (although we all know it’s sleeping in and watching cartoons).
DO: Choose a topic with some big, juicy facts you can sink your teeth into. For example, how to fund more educational television like Sesame Street, Bill Nye the Science Guy, and the Magic School Bus is a topic where you can still talk about television, but in a structured, fact-based way.
Bonus Tip: When you’re researching, make sure to take good notes. Include the bibliographic information and the page number you found the information on. This will make citations much easier, especially if you’re referencing books and articles from the library.
Pick something that’s actually an argument
Because proposal essays are a type of argumentative essay, you want to be sure the essay is worthy of an argument. Choosing a topic that is too one-sided is, frankly, really boring and doesn’t serve your purpose well.
When writing your essay, you’ll want to address opposing viewpoints. That way you can present a well-rounded proposal. This lets your reader know you have considered all sides of a given topic and have constructed the best proposal given all the variables at work.
You’ll be able to tell if an argument has one side because you won’t actually be able to write a proposal essay about it. It would turn into either a process essay or an argumentative essay (and not a very good one, at that).
DON’T: Choose something like how to make a delicious grilled cheese sandwich. Sure, everyone has a slightly different way of doing it, but it turns into a process essay, not a proposal. Plus, I don’t think choosing between different grilled cheese methods really counts as a problem that needs a proposed solution.
DO: Pick something like the ways that farmers and corporations improve the lives of dairy cows. That’s a problem that needs a solution—and it’s a much better topic for your proposal essay.
Consider your audience
Remember, proposal essays serve a purpose outside of academia. So even if you’re writing this for a class and only your teacher will see it, pretend like there’s a more realistic reader who will be deciding whether your proposal is worth investing time and resources into.
Understanding your audience not only makes the writing process easier, but also helps you choose the right topic from the many possible proposal essay topics.
DON’T: Choose a topic with an audience you’re not comfortable with. For example, if your audience is a group of academics but you’re terrible at academic writing, it might be best to choose a different topic.
DO: Pick a topic that has an audience you can relate to. For instance, if you’re passionate about and good at writing about social issues, and your audience is a group of volunteer workers, choosing a proposal essay topic about society might be in your best interest.
24 Proposal Essay Topics That Are Easy and Fun to Write
Now that you have an idea about what a proposal essay is and how to choose the right topic to write your own essay, here are some examples of proposal essay topics.
You can write about these topics as-is, modify them, or simply use them to get you in the right mindset to come up with your own topic.
1. What can be done to create a more well-rounded curriculum for middle and high school students.
2. How can teachers improve sex education courses?
3. In what ways can foreign language courses be improved?
4. How should students be graded?
5. How can the government better handle illegal immigration?
6. What should be done to lower the national debt?
7. What could be done to make the electoral system more effective?
8. How can the government make programs such as welfare, Medicaid, and Social Security more effective?
9. How can parents raise their children to have a sense of humility as opposed to entitlement?
10. What is the most effective way to discipline a child?
11. How can parents encourage their children to be more active in extracurriculars?
12. What is the most effective way for parents to teach their children about money?
13. What can the average person do to combat global climate change? What can the government do?
14. What should be done to increase the funding for cancer research?
15. How can parents, teachers, and society at large encourage more children to pursue an education in science?
16. How can educational television shows about science receive more funding and airtime?
17, In what ways can we reduce childhood obesity?
18. How can the government or society as a whole reduce homelessness in the United States?
19. What would be an effective program to curb illegal drug use?
20. How can we promote more tolerant behavior within US society?
21. How can people reduce their reliance on technology?
22. How can parents and teachers effectively help eliminate cyberbullying?
23. How should children be taught about responsible Internet use?
24. In what ways can companies and consumers keep sensitive information more secure online?
Hopefully, one of these proposal essay topics catches your eye. If not, feel free to make up your own topic based off something you care about solving.
Did you notice that most of the topics listed above start with “How can … ” and “In what way … ”? Let these words guide your own topic selection if you don’t choose one of the above examples. These phrases will lead you to a great proposal essay.
If you choose a topic, write about it, and are left wondering if it’s any good, send it to one of the Kibin editors. We will review your essay and give you suggestions on how to strengthen your argument.
Good luck with your proposal!
Get free, weekly essay writing tips.
Psst... 98% of Kibin users report better grades! Get inspiration from over 500,000 example essays.
Proposal Essay Topics
Proposal essay is an assignment that gives your professor an opportunity to provide feedback on your topic, argument and research goals before you complete your final essay. The purpose of writing proposal essay is to help you focus on your ideas and get started with your thinking and reading.
General Guidelines for Writing a Proposal Essay
Description/justification for your topic:
- Why did you chose the topic
- How is your topic relevant to your discipline
State your research question:
Write a paragraph to consider the significance of the question like answering it might help to make sense or illustrate course themes. Write a strong a research question that is neither too narrow nor broad.
Create thesis statement: the answer to your research question
Conduct a research before you can even begin to offer an answer here. It should be brief, make sure your thesis address your primary research (why) question.
Give preview of your argument:
Clarify how you will address your topic, identify sub-arguments you need to prove to make your large argument true. This should be one-paragraph long outlining your arguments. This way you let your readers to look into the structure of argument.
Provide preliminary list of sources:
Focus on your scholarly sources, you may get instructions on how many and what kinds of sources are required in this stage.
This is about the whole proposal essay writing and its essential elements. But here we are going to focus on selecting proposal essay topics that is most important while presenting a proposal. Our experts help you to understand what is needed when you are choosing proposal essay topics.
MyAssignmenthelp.com Takes Care of Your Proposal Essay Assignment
It is a fact that the studies are becoming more demanding nowadays in terms of dedication and expertise necessary to get higher grades. MyAssignmenthelp.com is the name that gives you the opportunity to get desired grades. What is more important to us is to provide you pleasant enjoyable experience to students by offering additional support and consultancy.
We are committed to giving affordable, genuine and professional services to all those students who need individual attention and support during their study.
- The process of choosing writers
We always maintain few protocols before hiring an expert, we only shortlist those applicants who have Master’s and Ph.D. degrees from reputed universities so that your tasks are handled by qualified experts. Then we conduct a rigorous recruiting process in which the applicants have to prove their writing skills and proficiency in learned concepts. This all is done because you get best quality assignment content.
There are so many writing service companies who throw endless promises at their customers, but are unable to fulfill them. But we are not one of them. We only assure those things that we are capable of. Our guarantees may be similar to other companies, but what makes us different is that we are genuine and we always give priority to customer satisfaction:
- We assure quality standards whenever you place order with us.
- We understand students have no permanent earnings. This is why we keep our rates minimal.
- We only deliver plagiarism-free content within given time limit.
- We guarantee hassle-free delivery and order placing process.
Now you know that proposal essay must be done using the prescribed form. But before you start with your proposal essay, you need to find your proposal essay topics. Here we give you a proficient idea of how to select proposal essay topics and suggestions of good proposal essay topics from which you can take inspiration and develop your own proposal essay topics.
How to Choose Proposal Essay Topics
- First, make a list of the research proposal topics that interests you. Make sure they are within the framework set by your teacher.
- Second, imagine your teacher reading and groaning because it is number 25 proposal essay on the same topic. If you are finding an old topic, then take the topic and give fresh angle. The key is to find a fresh perspective.
- Third, after choosing proposal essay topics, you need to present a mini version of your research proposal. List the points you will introduce in your introduction, your middle paragraphs and in your conclusion. Creating research proposal essay based on research proposal essay topics will help you stay on the track and help you stick to the proposal essay topics.
Proposal Essay Topics List
Here we give good proposal essay topics suggestion. Go though these proposal essay examples and gain proficient knowledge on selecting proposal essay topics.
Proposal essay topics on culture
- Proposal Essay Topics 1: What can be done about the decline of morality in media? Should superheroes kill their enemies in Hollywood movies?
- Proposal Essay Topics 2: Should Australian use only politically correct and gender-neutral terms?
- Proposal Essay Topics 3: What can be done for obsolete lifestyles?
- Proposal Essay Topics 4: Should people buy so many things using credit? What can be done to handle the culture of debt?
- Proposal Essay Topics 5: Bread and circus culture versus traditional family values
Proposal essay topics on law
- Proposal Essay Topics 1: Should animal exploitation by dairy and meat industries be banned? Is veganism only way to protect animal rights?
- Proposal Essay Topics 2: Should dog bite laws be bread specific? For example, should pit bulls be banned, or more attention should be paid to the education of dog owners instead?
- Proposal Essay Topics 3: Should all prisoners have voting rights, or only individual on probation and those who have already served their sentences?
- Proposal Essay Topics 4: Does espionage law violate free speech? Should it be banned or improved?
- Proposal Essay Topics 5: Should health care workers be obliged to treat homosexual individual with feelings?
Proposal essay topics on education
- Proposal Essay Topics 1: What steps should be taken from restraining qualified teachers from leaving teaching profession?
- Proposal Essay Topics 2: What is the best way to impose and improve parental involvement in children’s education?
- Proposal Essay Topics 3: Should the results of standardized tests be used for deciding limitation of school district funding or just for understanding the main strengths and weaknesses of their educational strategies? Proposal Essay Topics 4: The most successful inventors were known as wrong-thinkers at schools. Later they were acknowledged as risk taking pioneer. So should
- Proposal Essay Topics 4: The most successful inventors were known as wrong-thinkers at schools. Later they were acknowledged as risk taking pioneer. So should teacher give students the chance of failing and learn by making mistakes?
- Proposal Essay Topics 5: What can be done to improve student’s reading comprehension instead calling words aloud without understanding them?
Proposal essay topics on healthcare
- Proposal Essay Topics 1: The risks of birth defects are significantly higher in test-tube babies. Should couple adopt children instead of having in-vitro fertilization?
- Proposal Essay Topics 2: Is therapeutic (transplanting cloned tissues) for treating incurable diseases ethical?
- Proposal Essay Topics 3: What if a person is allergic to modern living especially electromagnetic field? What is the solution?
- Proposal Essay Topics 4: Can antidepressant use to enhance suicidal behaviors? Should it be limited or banned?
- Proposal Essay Topics 5: If the parents are not capable enough, can they be prohibited from having children?
Proposal essay topics on business
- Proposal Essay Topics 1: What initiatives should be implemented to project small businesses from economic problems?
- Proposal Essay Topics 2: What are the solutions to erosion of trust contribution to the decline of the American business sector?
- Proposal Essay Topics 3: Should the customer have the right to report mistreatment of companies lying to consumers?
- Proposal Essay Topics 4: What can be done to solve the giant problem of unemployment?
- Proposal Essay Topics 5: Should employees be allowed to use email at work and can workers expect these emails to be private?
Proposal essay topics on social issues
- Proposal Essay Topics 1: How can we help homeless people in our community? Should the government implement some actions?
- Proposal Essay Topics 2: What can be done to prevent people from dropping out of school?
- Proposal Essay Topics 3: How can be kids persuaded not to experiment with drugs?
- Proposal Essay Topics 4: What is the best way to prevent deaths from drunk driving?
- Proposal Essay Topics 5: How can kids with divorced parents be counseled to do well in school, build successful lives and marriages and have strong relationships?
Proposal essays topics on sports
- Proposal Essay Topics 1: Should college athletes be paid? How can colleges better handle the combination of education, athletes and business?
- Proposal Essay Topics 2: How can coaches best encourage their athletes to their best?
- Proposal Essay Topics 3: How can sports media be more effective at covering a sport you like to watch? Which games should be covered? What types of interviews and special features make the sport more interesting?
- Proposal Essay Topics 4: How should a coach or a player handle media interviews when they lose a big game?
- Proposal Essay Topics 5: What should professional players do to prepare themselves for retirement or injury?
These are some good proposal essay topics that you can use for your further reference. But these proposal essay topics are only for suggestions, not to be imitated. If you are struggling with selecting essay topics or writing it, here is the perfect solution.
Avail top-quality help from MyAssignmenthelp.com in writing essays
Sometimes you desire that someone else writes your essays on your behalf. Your prayers have been answered. MyAssignmenthelp.com aims to put every student at ease with their academic schedule. The experts who work with us write essay effectively and to the point with all their experience and professionalism.
- Quality and cheap price go hand in hand
The combination is very rare, but you can find it only in MyAssigmenthelp.com. We deliver assignments that exceed university standards and your faculties’ expectations that too at very student-friendly price compared to other writing service companies.
Our essay experts are committed to creating A-one quality content without doing any copy-pasting job. So there is no chance of plagiarism in the help material that you receive from us. We also keep in mind that the students have no source income, it is tough to avail expensive service so we revise our pricing possibilities every now and then to keep the prices affordable and reasonable for all students.
We are not one of those writing service companies that promises high but delivers low. We fulfill our every word. If you hire our essay experts to write your essay, you will definitely see notable improvement in your grades. The reason is our experts are alumni from the same college you are pursuing degrees. So they are best in the field and skilled enough to create content that is easy to understand and full of insights to impress the professors.
This is very simple and uncomplicated. You just have to visit us and log on to your personal MyAssignmenthelp.com account and fill out the online order form by mentioning assignment requirements, deadline, reference format, the number of pages etc. Then make the payment. That’s it. Now just wait for the completed assignment to land in your personal mail inbox and you can download it without any hassle.
Check our offers and discounts deals!!
"Excellent writing, no negatives to comm...
"Excellent writing, no negatives to comment. Completely satisfied by the end product. Such a wonderful and useful website"
"Overall the final report is good, But m...
"Overall the final report is good, But my course teacher was quiet unhappy that there was no case studies explained in the final report. So, could you please add and explain one or two case studies into the final report related to the topic which you have done and after adding the case study into the final report. Please can you send it as a whole of final report as early as possible.thank you"
"Best service provided. On time, ill use...
"Best service provided. On time, ill use their service again, much appreciated, before deadline they finished my assignment."
"Your service is good i like ur assignme...
"Your service is good i like ur assignment assistance ,,,,, you are doing great job you help specially students, but your charges is very high,, please give better offers for students."
"The solution of my assignment is too go...
"The solution of my assignment is too good and thanks for the team of Myassignmenthelp. i am really thanks for help me and gave me a assignment assistance within good quality. i would be contact again if i face any problem in future. thanx for the help"