TABLE OF CONTENTS PAGE
1 INTRODUCTION 3
2 Definition of an information society 3
3 Characteristics of information societies 4
4 Definition of the digital divide 5
5 International bandwidth per internet user 5
6 Percentage of households with a computer 7
7 Percentage of households with internet access 7
8 Percentage of individuals using the internet 8
9 Fixed (wired) broadband internet subscriptions 11
10 Number of mobile phones people have access to 12
11 Number of people who use computers 13
12 The internet economy of South Africa and Australia 14
13 Literacy level of South Africa and Australia 16
14 CONCLUSION 18
The advent of the twenty-first century has seen a number of technological developments which affect almost every aspect of our lives. At the core of this is the ever-growing use of ICT in all realms of life, from the workplace to the sports field, in schools and on a personal or social level. The work produced below looks at how South Africa (considered 3rd world) utilises various ICTs comparative to a 1st world country, Australia. The differences are large in most instances as South Africa has only in recent years become more urbanised as larger groups of people move to the cities in the search of better living and educational facilities.
(Image courtesy of Google)
2 Definition of an information society
According to Businessdictionary.com, an information society is the Post-industrial society in which information technology (IT) is transforming every aspect of cultural, political, and social life and which is based on the production and distribution of information. It is characterised by the (1) pervasive influence of IT on home, work and recreational aspects of the individuals daily routine, (2) stratification into new classes which is those who are information-rich and those who are information-poor, (3) loosening of the nation state's hold on the lives...
Anti Essays offers essay examples to help students with their essay writing.
Our collection includes thousands of sample research papers so you can find almost any essay you want.
Com3703 Unisa Essays and Research Papers
- Com3703 Ass 1
- COM3703 Assignment 1 44801491 ... at a scenario about surveying Unisa students about the Unisa radio station, how one would...
- Words: 2982 — Pages: 12
- Com3703 Media Studies: Media Content And Media Audiences
- Module: COM3703 Media studies: Media content and media audiences The media: analysing content & audience I, the undersigned, herewith declare that...
- Words: 15668 — Pages: 63
- REFLECTION 13 ADDENDUM B 14 ADDENDUM C 15 ADDENDUM D 16 ADDENDUM E 17 Course COM3703 Assignment Number 03 Date 2015-05-04 21:47:49 Reference No...
- Words: 3918 — Pages: 16
- Unisa Mgg2602 Sexual Trauma Ass2
- MGG2602 Assignment 2 2013 Unique Number: 334262 Page 2 of 24 TABLE OF CONTENTS TASK ONE: SELF AWARENESS...
- Words: 5345 — Pages: 22
- Unisa Info
- updates, please go to the Unisa website http://www.unisa.ac.za 56 57 57 1 A quick look at my Studies @ Unisa nnect Co Unisa is changing & re-admission twork...
- Words: 15760 — Pages: 64
- I, the undersigned, hereby declare that this is my own and personal work, except where the work(s) of publications of others have been acknowledged by means of...
- Words: 3542 — Pages: 15
- TABLE OF CONTENTSPAGE 1INTRODUCTION3 2COMMUNICATION AND MEDIA SEMIOTICS3 2.1Kinds of signs3 2.2Different sign functions3 3 FILM THEORY AND CRITICISM4...
- Words: 2101 — Pages: 9
- Com3703 Portfolio
- 20 21 22 24 25 26 1 INTRODUCTION For this portfolio examination for COM3703 I have chosen to do option 2. It focuses on chapters 2 3, 4, 6 and 7 in...
- Words: 10575 — Pages: 43
- Portfolio Assignment For Com3703
- SEMESTER 01 ASSIGNMENT 01 UNIQUE ASSIGNMENT NUMBER:831217 I, the undersigned, hereby declare that this is my own and personal work, except where the work...
- Words: 684 — Pages: 3
- to all education levels and need levels of the public. The uses of the media may differ with time, for example, the public may be in awe of what is occurring around...
- Words: 264 — Pages: 2
- Unisa English Assignment On Affirmative Action
- Section A: Short Questions 1. Is the affirmative action policy morally defensible? Explain. The affirmative action policy is morally defensible, when seen as a...
- Words: 911 — Pages: 4
- Unisa Pfc 101Q - Assignment 4
- Assignment 4 Student name: Saliem Khan Student number: 46348131 Course code: PFC1101-Q Assignment number: 370641...
- Words: 3489 — Pages: 14
- COM 2602 IntegratedOrganizational Communication Declaration I, the undersigned hereby declare that this is my own personal, except where work(s) or publications...
- Words: 1910 — Pages: 8
- Unisa Assignment Intercultural Health Communication Assignment 2 Semester 2
- 1 TABLE OF CONTENTS PAGE INTRODUCTION THE SIX DIALECTICS OF INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION/RELATIONSHIPs THE CULTURAL INDIVIDUAL DIALECTIC THE PERSONAL-CONTEXUAL...
- Words: 2124 — Pages: 9
- Com3703 Assignment 1
- I, the undersigned, hereby declare that this is my own and personal work, except where the work(s) or publications of others have been acknowledged by means of...
- Words: 1655 — Pages: 7
- Table of Contents page/s Introduction 01 History background of South Africa 01 The ideologies of South Africa 01 Marais theories and...
- Words: 1472 — Pages: 6
- Assignment 1 Mae103L 2015 Unisa
- Module code:MAE103L Unique number:592115 Assignment no:1 1 a light year is the distance that light travels in one year.the speed of the light is about 300...
- Words: 505 — Pages: 3
- Pfc102R Unisa
- Assignment 3 | 19 June 2015 PFC102R | UNIQUE NR 589104 | HELETTE OELOFSE 54517281 | Step 3 of 3: Assignment submission report We recommend that you keep a...
- Words: 539 — Pages: 3
- 3.1 Detailed Visual Analysis Codes | How are the codes used in the photograph? | What meaning(s) is/are produced? | Graphic depth vectors | They are used to...
- Words: 666 — Pages: 3
- MAT1512/201/1/2013 Tutorial Letter 201/1/2013 CALCULUS A MAT1512 Semester 1 Department of Mathematical Sciences This tutorial letter contains...
- Words: 1701 — Pages: 7
- Portfolio Work For Com3705 International Communication Unisa 2014
- TABLE OF CONTENTS PAGE 1 INTRODUCTION 3 2 Definition of an information society 3 3 Characteristics of information societies 4 4 Definition of...
- Words: 3925 — Pages: 16
- Examination Portflio
- TABLE OF CONTENTS PAGE DECLARATION 1. INTRODUCTION5 2. QUANTITATIVE CONTENT ANALYSI..7 1. Research problem7 2...
- Words: 5291 — Pages: 22
- COMMUNICATION SCIENCE COM3703 2013 TABLE OF CONTENTS ... programs. Due to lack of interest for UNISA radio programs by the students. The management...
- Words: 1533 — Pages: 7
- Communication And Media Semiotics
- COM 3703 Media studies: Media Content and Media Audiences Semester 2 Assignment 01 Option 2 Unique assignment number 732065 Page 1 TABLE OF CONTENTS...
- Words: 5099 — Pages: 21
- Once you have completed COM2604, COM3702 and COM3703 you will have completed all ... 429 3305) or preferably via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that we can assist you...
- Words: 23461 — Pages: 94
- Media Studies: Media Content And Media Audiences Portfolio
- 10-11 11-12 12-13 12-13 13 14-15 14 14 14 15 16 COM3703: Assignment 3: Nikkita Naidoo 4802 0001 INTRODUCTION The world of media has developed the world immensely...
- Words: 8222 — Pages: 33
- Communication And Media
- COM3703 PORTFOLIO EXAMINATION OPTION 2 NUMBER 897515 SECOND SEMESTER 2014 OFENTSE MOAMOGOE 5027-116-7 I, Ofentse Moamogoe, hereby declare that this is my...
- Words: 9609 — Pages: 39
- Benin Art - Ritual Objects
- Question: Discuss the ways in which the ritual objects produced by and for the royal court of Benin ensure the continuity of spiritual resources that sustain the...
- Words: 2577 — Pages: 11
- Painting Visual Arts
- a graduate of the SA School of Art, a practising artist and lecturer at both UniSA and at TAFE. I have exhibited in individual shows at Greenaway Art Gallery (2003...
- Words: 2165 — Pages: 9
- with the constitution and transformation of self. (p. 79) http://www.literacy.unisa.edu.au/jee/Papers/JEEVol6No1/Paper%206.pdf b. In Foucaults own...
- Words: 2940 — Pages: 12